Pages

Sunday 10 August 2014

Homemade Pizza Base and Pizza Sauce Recipe




I decided at the start of last week that I wanted to make homemade pizzas! I haven’t made them for ages and ages and I thought that this weekend would be a good opportunity to make some! I have in the past used the Pizza Base mixes you can buy from the super markets which takes a lot of the work out for you with the weighing and measuring etc. but I really wanted to try and make my pizza base from scratch as it was nice and easy I thought that id share my little recipes with you! As well as them being both super easy they are super tasty too!

I made enough dough for 3 medium size pizzas and also had some left over to make a few dough balls too! I’m impressed that I managed to get them quite well rounded, I’m putting this more down to the nice big pizza plates we have than my rolling skills.

Pizza Base

Ingredients

  • 650g Strong White Flour
  • 7g Sachet of easy-blend Yeast
  • 2 tsp of Salt
  • 25ml/1fl oz Olive Oil
  • 50ml/1fl oz Milk
  • 325ml/11fl oz Water

Method

Mix flour, yeast and salt in a large mixing bowl and then stir in the olive oil and milk. Then you need to add the water a little bit at a time mixing it together as you go to form a soft dough.

Transfer the dough onto a well floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes, until the mixture has become smooth and elastic. Move the mixture into a clean bowl and cover with a damp tea towel and leave to prove for about 1 to 1 ½ hours or the mixture has doubled in size.

When the dough has risen you need to knock it back which is basically giving the dough a good old punch (great stress relief) and then knead again for about 2 minutes. Place back in bowl for a further 30 minutes to an hour and let the mixture rise again. While you are waiting on this you can make the pizza sauce.

Pre heat an oven to a hot temperature. I heated mine to 160 degrees which is a fan assisted oven but whatever you see fit given your oven type!

With well floured hands take a good sized handful of the dough and place on a floured surface, roll out the dough in even strokes until you have your desired shape and size.

Place onto a baking tray or pizza plates like we have and when your sauce and toppings are ready add these and place in the oven until the crust is golden brown.

Pizza Sauce

Ingredients

  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil for oiling pan
  • 2 medium Onions finely chopped
  • 2 cloves of Garlic crushed
  • 1 Tin of Chopped Tomatoes
  • 1 tsp of Dried Oregano
  • 1 tsp of Tomato Puree

Method

Heat a glug of oil in a saucepan add the chopped onion and sweat down for about 5 minutes or until cooked through. Add the garlic and let that cook for about 2 minutes.

Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to the boil and leave until sauce has thickened.

Leave to cool and place in fridge or add straight to pizza bases

I like my pizza sauce to be chunky and with quite a lot of garlic, I can’t get enough of the stuff! If your not to keen on a strong garlic taste please feel free to adjust the recipe to suit your taste. If you would prefer a smoother sauce then just quickly blast the mixture in a blender to give you a smoother texture.

And once you have added the sauce to the pizza base you can added what ever toppings you fancy! I went for Pepperoni, Salami, Mixed Peppers, Onion, Jalapenos, Mushroom and Bacon Bits topped off with grated Cheddar Cheese. My Mum’s was similar to mine just leaving out the Pepperoni, Salami and Jalapeños. My Dad went for a more rustic feel and had Chorizo, Pepperoni, Salami and Jalapeños and Mozzarella cheese.

As I had a bit of dough left over I decided to make some dough balls, all I did was roll small amounts of dough into a small ball and placed onto a greased baking tray and cooked in the oven for around 10 minutes or until golden brown. I then melted some garlic butter in the microwave for dipping!

I really hope you like this recipe and have inspired you to go out and make your own! It was super easy to make and really fun too.












Have you ever tried homemade pizzas? What are your favourite toppings? Also let me know if you would like more recipes from me, I’ve really enjoyed writing this one for you? Let me know in the comments. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...