Pages

Sunday 17 September 2017

Life As An Open University Student - A Degree in International Studies


So I briefly touched on the subject of what I am studying with the Open University and that is International Studies. I want to talk about why I chose this particular subject and where I hope this degree will lead me in the future.

I've always had a keen interest in current affairs and in particular what is happening overseas and how this effects how we doings in the UK as well as wanting a career that will allow me to travel or work overseas it seemed that the right fir for me would be a job in the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. I looked into the kind of qualifications diplomats and Embassy workers have and one that i saw pop up a few times was International Studies so i decided to look more into the subject area and decided that this was the degree that not only suited my career aspirations but also sound like something I I would want to study, I didn't want to have to force myself to go through the motions of getting a degree for the sake of it.

As I mentioned before I did look at doing this course through Leeds Beckett University part time but didn't want to work part time so I decided to go with the Open University and the flexibility that offered. As well as the flexibility to fir the learning around my full time job the open university gives you choice in the kinds of modules you can study which again was very appealing as you can tailor your overall degree to the areas within it that suit your interests.

The Open University covers a wide rage of topics under the umbrella of International Studies looking at areas such as International Development, Environmental Impacts, Living in a Globalised World, The British Isles and the Modern World and Understanding Politics in the Modern World to name a few. This means I can pick and choose the kind of topics i want to study as i move through each stage.

I am about to start the module International Development at Stage 2 which is the equivalent of second year if I was studying full time. I might discuss this particular topic in a separate post to give more info and details and also it gives me something else to write about haha!

I hope you enjoyed reading this post, are any of you looking to study with the OU? Or are you interested in International Studies? Let me know in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...